Saturday, July 6, 2013

Gettin’ Better Verbs


Revise the original “get/got” sentences without repeating a single verb.

1. When I went to camp, I got (caught)a head cold.
2. After dinner, my dad got ( received ) a phone call from his boss.
3. Jerry listened to the math teacher explain the lesson, but he still didn’t get (understand) it.
4. When will we get () our school pictures taken?
5. Ellen got (scored )an A- on her test.
6. When dad sold his lawn mower, he got ( made / was paid) $1500.00 for it.
7. Mom got (bought / purchased) all the items on her grocery list with a coupon.
8. My dad thought he knew the directions, but he got mixed up.
9. We got (arrived) to the theater late, and missed the opening act.
10. My sister got (received )free tickets for the concert next week.
11. During our camping trip, I got (was) bit by several nasty mosquitoes.
12. My teacher asked me how I got (received) my unusual name.
13. Dad got (was) lost when we went on vacation this summer.
14. Mom got (was) really upset with my brother.
15. Do you get (understand) that you shouldn’t use “get” as a verb?

  • 1) Strong verbs show instead of tell
    Example: The tiger ate the antelope.
    The tiger devoured the antelope.
    Example: The Buffalo injured the hunter.
    The Buffalo gored the hunter.
    He hit (swatted) the ball.
    She ate (gobbled)the candy.
    They walked(trudged) up the hill.
    2) Single verbs show better than verb/adverb combinations.
    Example: He uses time wisely when writing essays.
    Example: The lion ferociously ate the gazelle.
    The lion gobbled the gazelle (note the serendipitous use of alliteration).
    3) Be verbs (am, is, are, was, were, be, being, been) suck the life out of your writing!
    Example: He was bludgeoned by the boxer.
    The boxer bludgeoned him.
    Example: The pedestrian was run over by the school bus.
    The school bus ran over the pedestrian.
    4) Have/has/had combined with a noun encourage readers to wedge their head in a vice.
    Example: I had an argument with the referee.
    argued with the referee
    Example: I had dinner with the sheriff.
    dined with the sheriff.

No comments:

Post a Comment